The Lava Flow Hostel is owned by siblings Ranger Ross and Natalie H. The hostel was created when Ranger Ross moved to Grants, New Mexico to work as a protection officer at El Malpais National Monument. The hostel was created to provide a community space and camaraderie for hikers, bicyclists and adventurers who are exploring the Continental Divide Trail or wherever their adventure is taking them! Of course, it is also open to any travelers who are on an adventure and not mean. We don't like mean people, and we reserve the right to serve everyone regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, social class, or educational level :)
Our mission is to provide a safe, comfortable, and welcoming place for minorities and people on the margins of mainstream society. If you consider yourself mainstream and expect us to cater to your preferences and expectations this is not the place for you. If you are too busy being yourself to care what the mainstream is doing, you’ll find your tribe here! We look forward to having you visit.
The Lava Flow Hostel sits on a half-acre lot in the center of Grants, New Mexico next door to the bowling alley. The property has three small buildings, the Dorm House, the Back Cottage, and the Bunk House. All three buildings where built in the 1940's. The Back Cottage and the Bunk House were built using ammunition crates from World War II. The Dorm House originally sat on Route 66, at the corner of Santa Fe Ave and First Street. There is now a Pizza Hut where the house was originally constructed. It was moved to this lot in the 1950's. Under the Dorm House is a concrete fall-out shelter constructed during the Cold War.
* Sorry no pets or emotional support animals (bona fide service animals always welcome) MORE INFO.
* Unless approved for a long-term stay, length of stay is limited to 14 nights.
* Sorry we do not allow local rentals, travelers only please.
* Out of respect to others who might be sleeping, please arrive before 10 pm.
* We do not provide maid service; guests make their own bed, wash any used sheets or towels, and clean their room before check-out.
* There is no front desk, you will receive arrival instructions and door codes with your payment confirmation email.
* Long Term Stays require pre-approval and are only allowed in the Back Cottage.
* Reservations must be made online and must be pre-paid, there is no front desk. If you have trouble with the online reservation system please email Ranger Ross: Reservations@LavaFlowHostel.com
* Please keep drunken shenanigans to a minimum.
* No fighting
* No illegal drugs
* We are not in the hospitality business, and we are not a shelter.
* Check-in is 12:00 (noon), Check-out is 12:00 (noon).
Hostel Security and rules enforcement is handled by the Hostel's resident felines, Frank and Frankie. If you have any cat allergies you will probably not enjoy a visit to the Hostel, sorry :(
We believe all adventure seekers should have an affordable, safe and welcoming place to stay! Your donation helps fund continued improvements at the Lava Flow Hostel while keeping our rates as low as possible.